Wednesday, May 10, 2017

I LOVE SCHOOL VISITS

The Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators knows the importance of school visits. That’s where the kids are! In a noisy world, teachers and librarians are often the best ones to connect readers to books.

Unfortunately, schools aren’t always able to host these visits. But at the Wisconsin Educational Media & Technology Association convention, the SCBWI booth was mobbed by educators entering a drawing for a FREE author visit. Nancy Washnieski, a 6th grade teacher from Washburn, Wisconsin, was the lucky winner of a visit and a bag of books by Wisconsin authors and illustrators.

By happy coincidence, Nancy had already bought a copy of my middle-grade novel NATURE GIRL to share with her students. So I got to make the trip from the coast of one great lake to another -- beyond the reach of the interstate, through the Chequamegon National Forest, past Mercer (the loon capitol of the world), to Washburn on the shore of Lake Superior.

I wasn't sure what kind of school I would find in a town of only 2000. (There are schools in New York City that have that many students!) But I knew we had the most important thing in common – we all loved books.

Nancy had been reading NATURE GIRL to her students. They enjoyed Megan’s adventures on the Appalachian Trail, even though they were shocked she didn’t know how to start a campfire. Unlike my heroine, these kids loved being in nature.


They had so many great questions about writing and the reasons for choices I had made. They shared their ideas for a project I’m just beginning – in which a kid from the country gets lost in the city. 




Thank you, Washburn School! I loved sharing my books with you. And thanks for the water bottle with your school's mascot Castle Guards. It came in very handy as I hiked along the spectacular coast of Lake Superior.


3 comments:

  1. Dear Jane,
    Thank you for coming to our school! We enjoyed having you here with us at Washburn Middle School. We look forward to City Kid--what a cool title!
    Your Sixth Grade Friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post! I loved reading about this school. I also learned that Mercer is the unofficial loon capital. How did I not know that before? Adore your books, and glad to see kids interacting with them and you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post! I loved reading about this school. I also learned that Mercer is the unofficial loon capital. How did I not know that before? Adore your books, and glad to see kids interacting with them and you.

    ReplyDelete